Smoothies are not only vitamin-packed, but they’re also very delicious. It’s a great way to start the day, and they’re really easy to make.
Here’s how you can make the perfect smoothie:
Find the right ratio
Smoothies are fairly straightforward to make. The key is to get the right proportions for the base and then choosing your favorite ingredients to add to it. Here’s the recipe for the base of a smoothie:
- ½ to 1 whole banana
- 1 to 2 cups greens (you can substitute fruit)
- ½ to 1 cup water or liquid
- ½ ice
After you’ve finished making the base, you can add other ingredients for flavor, texture, and nutritive benefits such as:
- Frozen or fresh fruit: ¼ to ½ cup of your favorite varieties
- Protein or healthy fat: 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 tablespoon of nut or seed butter, or ¼ avocado
- Crunch or texture: chia seeds or nuts
- Herbs and spices: 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric, or whatever else you like to spice things up with
- Sweetener: Honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar
Just remember that more ingredients don’t necessarily mean a better smoothie. Choose flavors that will work together, you can experiment with them if you don’t have a preference.